Catacomb 3-D (also known as Catacomb 3-D: A New Dimension, Catacomb 3-D: The Descent, and Catacombs 3) is an FPS developed by id Software and published by Softdisk in November 1991. It is the third game in the Catacomb series, and the first in 3D (the previous games were top-down maze shooters in the vein of arcade classic Gauntlet).
It was the second 3D game by id Software, released six months after Hovertank. It improved on the predecessor's formula by using textures on the walls (but not on the floors or ceiling yet).
It had a number of sequels, still using the same engine by id Software but developed by different teams.
- Catacomb (1989)
- The Catacomb (aka Catacomb II) (1991)
- Catacomb 3-D (1991)
- The Catacomb Abyss (1992)
- The Catacomb Armageddon (1992)
- The Catacomb Apocalyse (1993)
- Catacombs Pack on GOG - includes the complete series